Sunday, June 3, 2007

Chai Garam

Chai is something that most northindians drink every morning like Americans drink coffee. The only difference being that most of us drink it with milk...though there are places where black and green tea is made without milk. I love chilled black tea and I really don't like green tea. I don't know why this is ...may beacuse I haven't tasted it made by some person who really knows how to brew green tea. I tried it myself once when my dad got green tea provided to him ( a box every day) in the Chinese hotel during an official visit.. in those days I was in college so my dad ( a non tea drinker) dumped it on us ( his college going kids - me and my sis) we used the green tea to make chai like we do and it was horrible...Anyways...so let me tell u how i generally make chai...and this is the easiest thing u can every learn to make.

Ingredients:

1. 1 teaspoon Black Tea.
2. 1/2 cup milk. (I use whole fat milk use which ever u like)
3. Sugar according to taste and health.
4. 1 Saucepan, 1 spoon, 1 filter.
5. 1/2 cup water.

Other additional things that can be added in Chai:
1. use ginger to make ginger tea ( i drink this daily in morning but it is given to clear soar throats and during cold)
2. use cardamom (it gives a totally different flavor to tea by giving it a completely different aroma...)

Method:
1. add the 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water to the saucepan and put it on a medium flame.
2. add the sugar according to ur taste to it.
3. For Ginger tea (1 inch square) add crushed to the tea or for cardamom tea add 2 crushed cardamoms to the heating milk and water mixture.
4. when the milk and water mix starts boiling add tea leaves to it.
5. wait for about 2 mintues so that the color and aroma of the tea can be incorporated in milk.
6. remove the saucepan from fire and filter the tea into a cup to drink.
7. Enjoyyyyyyyyy.....

No comments: